Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Sense of Freedom



Today is one of those days that simply defies description. Its a lot like the weather on the east coast; don't like it? wait an hour--it will change.

The dreary last hurrah of winter has been assaulting my sensibilities for the past few weeks. Just when I think there is hope and the promise of sun, kapow-the goddess grins and sends another 4 inches of snow and ice.

However, today was magnificent. The sun is shining, the birds are twittering, and I didn't need to scrape ice off of the car. As I drove up to the window of my favorite morning pharmacy (aka Tim Horton's), I realized that I had no purse, no money, no cell phone. Somehow these had all been left in the hallway this morning. I did remember my laptop. Scrounging for change, the coffee goddess was indeed benevolent, as last night there was some change left from a late evening coffee run.My co-pilot had dumped it in the coffee holder. Saved !

After checking in at the office, and ensuring that world peace was not being threatened by my absence I proceeded to wend my way home for the abandoned necessities of life. The strangest thing then happened as I was walking out to the car. A total sense of freedom suddenly hit me. Here I was, car keys in hand, no ID, no credit cards, no cell phone nothing. Just me, and a full tank of gas and a ten dollar bill that I had squirrelled away in my desk for emergencies.

The possibilities seemed endless. Just for those few fleeting moments it was absolutely terrific to feel as if I had no identity, no pressing issues, and best of all no way for the world to reach me.
I never realized a purse and a cell phone could weigh so much !

1 comment:

PipeTobacco said...

Lady Elaine:

I am not sure of your rancor about what I say, for if you read my words:

"Please consider giving this suggested hire another job, one that is better suited for him that he accepts so that I may have a bit of breathing room, a bit of peace, in order to undergo this transformation. "

I am asking God to give the fellow a better suited job for HIM. How on Earth you think it is wrong of me to hope for something that is suitable for BOTH he and myself is beyond my understanding. It shall be a topic of my essay tonight, so I hope you will consider reading it and again commenting.

So, in sincere honesty, I am not sure why you feel my pain, which I can assure you is VERY REAL, is foolish and meaningless.

PipeTobacco